All Saints Foundation
The All Saints Foundation
Registered Charity No. 273390
At All Saints we are blessed with a beautiful Grade 1 listed building which is a magnificent example of Victorian church architecture and remains a living and working church, open every day for the thousands of people who come to this part of London. In it we offer worship to God, the experience of which will, we hope, change the lives of many who are drawn in.
When William Butterfield built All Saints in the 1850s, the monies required were provided by some very generous private donors. Then, as now, there was no funding by the State. Today, we continue to rely on the generosity of private donors to maintain the fabric of this cherished piece of Britain’s heritage and to cover the cost of our ministry, worship and mission.
In 1977, the All Saints Foundation was founded to raise money
- to advance the worship, pastoral ministry and mission of All Saints,
- to maintain, renovate and restore the buildings, and
- to support Christian study in the parish.
Please consider supporting the All Saints Foundation generously. A donation or legacy will help us to maintain our church and enhance its worship and mission in memory of those who have gone before us and for the benefit of future generations.
In recent years we have focused largely on the restoration and renovation of the building, and have substantially contributed to:
- The re-roofing of the church in slate and lead replacing the post war aluminium sheeting together with associated masonry repairs.
- The complete restoration of the 1910 Harrison and Harrison Organ.
- The restoration of the interior of the Nave removing mid twentieth century overpainting to reveal the design as Butterfield intended.
- The cleaning and revival of the Chancel as decorated by Comper in the early years of the twentieth century.
- The re-leading and conservation of all stained glass.
- New lighting notably the reinstatement of Butterfield’s electroliers from 1895; the renewal of the electrical installation including the less obvious automatic fire detection and emergency lighting for life safety.
- The restoration of the Lady Altar and the historic textiles designed by Comper. The restoration of a historic embroidered frontal for the high altar and set of high mass vestments.
- New and more energy efficient boilers to heat the church.
In 2020 the Foundation contributed towards the ongoing running expenses of the church in the exceptional circumstances of the coronavirus pandemic when the PCC’s income from casual giving and other sources was reduced.
The calls on the Foundation’s resources do not cease. Works that need to be carried out in the near future to support our church’s worship, mission and ministry include:
- Refurbishment of the undercroft including a satisfactory standard and increased number of WCs together with improved and enlarged kitchen facilities.
- Periodical cleaning of the interior walls of the church to prevent the stonework being ingrained with dirt once again.
- Some outstanding smaller works of restoration and repair to the elements of the church interior.
How you can help
We are not eligible for any Government grants towards the interior renewal, except for the proposed grant in lieu of a reduction in the rate of VAT. The Foundation relies on the generosity of the congregation and friends of All Saints. It is that same generosity which has enabled All Saints to be what it has been over the past 150 years and remains today.
Cash gifts can be a single payment or a series of payments for a limited or indefinite period. It may be convenient to set up a standing order form for a series of gifts.
If you are a UK taxpayer you can increase the value of your gift or series of gifts by signing a Gift Aid declaration. With basic rate income tax at 20% this increases the value of your gift by 25%. Higher-rate taxpayers will also get a reduction in their personal tax bill.
Gifts of shares
Gifts of shares have their own tax advantages: no capital gains tax is payable on any unrealised gain and the donor receives income tax relief on the full value of the shares.
You may like to consider leaving a legacy to the Foundation in your will. Legacies to charities are deducted from the amount on which inheritance tax is payable.
Make a donation
If you would like to make a gift to the Foundation, or if you have any questions, the Administrator will be delighted to help.
All Saints Foundation
7 Margaret Street
United Kingdom W1W 8JG
Tel: 020 7636 1788
contact us using the email form below.