Stained Glass Windows
The nature of the All Saints site – nestling among other buildings in this densely built-up area of central London – means windows are few, and generally limited to the upper reaches of the building.
The exception is the magnificent west window (right), the glass of which dates from 1877. Designed by Alexander Gibbs, it is based on the Tree of Jesse window in Wells Cathedral, and replaced the initial glass, designed by Alfred Gerente and installed between 1853-58 (and which was generally thought to be a failure).
Likewise, Gerente’s glass in the south aisle was replaced by Gibbs in the late 1860s. The glass in the clerestory, and in the east window of the south chancel aisle, is by Michael O’Connor and dates from 1853, the latter depicting Christ in majesty with St Edward and St Augustine.
A more detailed history of the windows of All Saints Margaret Street is available to order from the parish office.